Gilbert Achcar (Arabic: جلبير الأشقر; born 1951, Senegal) is a professor at the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, and Fellow at the International Institute for Research and Education.
Achcar is a frequent contributor to Le Monde diplomatique, ZNet, and International Viewpoint.
- PhD in Social History/International Relations, University of Paris-VIII.
- MA in Social Sciences, Lebanese University Beirut.
- BA in Philosophy, ESL, Beirut.
- The People Want: A Radical Exploration of the Arab Uprising (2013)
- Marxism, Orientalism, Cosmopolitanism (2013)
- Eichmann au Caire et autres essais (2012)
- The Arabs and the Holocaust: The Arab-Israeli War of Narratives (2010).
- Perilous Power: The Middle East and U.S. Foreign Policy. Dialogues on Terror, Democracy ,War, and Justice (with Noam Chomsky, 2007; 2nd ed., 2009)
- The 33-Day War: Israel’s War on Hezbollah in Lebanon and its Consequences (with Michel Warschawski, 2007)
- The Clash of Barbarisms. The Making of the New World Disorder (2006)
- The Israeli Dilemma: A Debate between Two Left-Wing Jews: letters between Marcel Liebman and Ralph Miliband, Selected, with an introduction and epilogue by Gilbert Achcar (2006)
- Eastern Cauldron. Islam, Afghanistan, Palestine and Iraq in a Marxist Mirror (2004)
- The Clash of Barbarisms: September 11 and the Making of the New World Disorder (2002)
- La Nouvelle Guerre froide. Le monde après le Kosovo (2002)
Articles on the Web
- The people want – but do they have a chance? openDemocracy, February 21, 2014
- What Remains of the Arab Spring, International Viewpoint, February 14 2014
- Extreme capitalism of the Muslim Brothers, Le Monde diplomatique, June 2013
- Arabs have a complex relationship with the Holocaust, The Guardian, May 12, 2010
- Barack Obama’s Libya speech and the tasks of anti-imperialists, Le Monde diplomatique, April 2011
- Libya: a legitimate and necessary debate from an anti-imperialist perspective, Le Monde diplomatique, March 2011
- Gilbert Achcar on the art of sabotaging efforts toward Middle East peace, Le Monde diplomatique, May 2010 (MP3)
- The Crisis in Gaza: An Interview with Gilbert Achcar, Irish Left Review, January 17, 2009
- Interview, Gilbert Achcar: Balance-sheet of U.S. imperialism, International Socialist Review, Issue 61, September-October 2008
- Gilbert Achcar page at SOAS, University of London
- Gilbert Achcar articles at ZNet
- Development and Revolution: The Roots of the Arab Uprising SOAS University / YouTube
- The Arabs and the Holocaust The University of Chicago / YouTube
- The Arabs and the Holocaust: The Arab-Israeli War of Narratives UCLA, Center of Near Eastern Studies, October 31, 2011
- On the Clash of Barbarisms from the Massacre in Paris to the U.S. Occupation of Iraq Democracy Now, January 9, 2015